PVC is short for polyvinyl chloride, a versatile and flexible plastic polymer that forms the base of PVC tape, a thicker and stronger alternative than polypropylene tape. PVC tape may be best known for its quiet pull from the roll and ease of use because it doesn’t stick to itself. Practically speaking, the durability of PVC tape makes it especially ideal for sealing packages containing large parts and bulky supplies, which is why PVC tape is our top-selling custom packaging tape for heavy shipments.
We know that PVC tape is quiet, easy to use, and strong – but is it waterproof? This article will break down everything you need to know about water and PVC tape.
Let’s start with the difference between waterproof and water-resistant.
Waterproof vs. water-resistant
To understand the distinction between waterproof and water-resistant, it helps to review the basic dictionary definitions of each term.
1) impervious to water
2) rendered impervious to water by some special process, as a coating or rubber treatment
1) resisting though not entirely preventing the penetration of water
So, which term best describes PVC tape?
PVC tape is water-resistant
As with most custom PVC packaging tapes, ours is water-resistant, meaning that it resists moisture but is not entirely impervious to water penetration. Most companies find this water-resistant feature of PVC tape more than sufficient for their needs, especially when they’re sealing packages in corrugated boxes or other non-waterproof containers. After all, you wouldn’t dunk a tape-wrapped cardboard container in Lake Hopatcong and expect it to stay intact.
However, a drizzly day or an accidental water splash is no problem for PVC tape – and, most likely, for your container, too. This water-resistant property of PVC tape comes with a host of advantages, as we’ve summarized in the next section.
4 Advantages of water-resistant PVC tape
Consider these four advantages of choosing PVC tape for its water-resistant qualities:
- Your package will stay sealed – When exposed to a few droplets of water, water-resistant PVC tape’s hot melt seal will remain stuck, keeping your package securely sealed.
- Your logo and colors won’t run – Water-resistance means that your custom printed PVC tape will maintain the integrity of your design, preventing your logo and colors from running when wet.
- You can use it year-round – Whether snow, drizzle, sleet, or other inclement conditions, water-resistant PVC tape can resist water in most wet-weather conditions.
- You can have peace of mind – With a water-resistant tape like PVC, you can rest assured that your package is safe, even when spattered with a bit of water.
Our water-resistant PVC tape is a premium quality tape for sealing boxes up to 40 lbs. and is available in multiple colors, including white, tan, clear, red, yellow, green, orange, and blue. Our advanced printing capabilities allow you to print up to three ink colors on this heavy-duty packaging tape to ensure your design aligns with your brand and messaging goals. To learn more about PVC packing tape, including more benefits and customization options, head to our blog.
If you’re looking for heavy-duty custom printed tape with water-resistant properties to keep your package secure no matter the conditions, browse our selection of PVC tape. Our easy online ordering system and in-house printing capabilities allow us to better accommodate your lead times, creative challenges, and demand for the highest quality tape.